Director Identification Number (DIN)is a unique 8 digit number that is allotted by the Central Government to any person intending to be a Director or an existing director of a company. It is required for all the present and proposed Directors of Company. The concept of DIN was introduced in India by the way of the Companies Amendment Act, 2006. Once DIN allotted it has lifetime validity. Details of the directors are maintained in a database through the DIN number.
DIN is individual specific to any person, which means even if he is a director in 2 or more companies, then he has a need to obtain only 1 DIN. And in some cases, if he leaves a company and joins some other company, the same DIN would work in the other company as well.
Generally, a DIN number can be used for registering a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) or an existing DPIN (Designated Partner Identification Number) and can be used for registering a Company.
Where is DIN used?
Whenever a return, an application, or any information related to a company will be submitted under any law, the director signing such return, application or information will mention his DIN underneath his signature.
Features of DIN Number
- DIN number is an 8 digit unique number that is allotted to each one of the applicants.
- Once the DIN Number is allotted it never expires and no filing is needed to maintain validity.
- DIN and DPIN Numbers are interchangeable. DIN is required for Company incorporation whether DPIN is required for LLP Registration.
- DIN is usually allotted immediately when the applicant applied. But in some cases, further documents may be requested.
DIN is mandatory for
Requirements for registration of DIN
Required Documents for DIN Registration: -
- A recent color Passport size photograph of the Applicant.
- Proof of Identity like- -Voter ID, Passport, Driving License, Like Aadhar Card)
- Proof of residence
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Evidence in the case of a single name as per the guidelines.
- Copy of passport in the case of foreign nationals.2. Self-Attested PAN card copy
- E-mail ID and Contact Number
Process for apply DIN:
- Fill SPICe Form with Attach Proof of Identity and Address Proof
- Fill DIR-3 Form with an attached document such as Photograph, Identity proof, Residence proof, Verification (Name, fathers name, present address, date of birth, the text of the declaration, and physical signature of the applicant) In case of foreign nationals, they are needed to submit their passport as an identity proof.
- Documents should be attested by a CA or CS or CMA
- Digitally signed form DIR 3 and uploaded on MCA21 Portal.
- Instant approved
Full form of DIN is Director Identification Number.
Instant approved DIN Number.
DIN has a lifetime validity.
Generally no formal or special education, experience, or skill is required to qualify to hold the office of a firms director. But if a director possesses special expertise or knowledge, he or she is expected to employ it to the firms advantage. In some cases the articles of association of the firm impose a shareholding qualification for the directors which must be complied with.
DIN and DPIN can be used interchangeably. If a person has both DIN and DPIN, in this situation DPIN will canceled and the DIN must be used for appointing the person as a Designated Partner of a LLP.
Every Designated Partner is required to obtain a DIN from the Central Government. If a person already has a DIN, the same can be used for forming LLP.